It was the first weekend in October 2009...
The kids always have that first Thursday and Friday off from school so the teachers can have Inservice. I had an opportunity to take my kids to Las Vegas with my folks to see my Grandpa. I really needed a getaway, and since my mom and dad were going, it seemed perfect timing to go.
My husband Scott is a Middle School teacher. He's also a realtor, he sells real estate after school hours and in the summer. He loves both jobs - teaching and selling real estate, and I am grateful because I can stay home with my little ones. But it keeps him busy and sometimes it's hard for him to get time off. Because Scott was in Inservice that Thursday and Friday he couldn't come with us. He knew I needed a trip, so he was willing to let me go. He made sure my car was all serviced and had the tires checked. He took care of everything to help make the trip go smoothly for us.
We left Thursday, in the early afternoon. Scott was feeling some anxiety about us leaving, so he left school for a bit to see us off. We were caravanning in two different vehicles - my mom was in my car with me, with Karlee and the baby. Katelyn and Carson were riding with my dad. Before we left we said a prayer for safety and made sure everyone was buckled in tight. Scott buckled Katelyn in her carseat and gave her lots of loves. This is really hard looking back... Who ever knew the significance of that moment and that goodbye between them.
We traveled a long 9ish hours and arrived in Las Vegas late that night. The kids were tired, most were asleep when we rolled in, but once we arrived they were pretty excited to be there. My Grandpa was happy to see us.
I was surprised to see my brother Bryce there - I didn't know he had come down for a dental course over the weekend. It's always good to see him. Back home in Idaho, he lives close and has a dental practice in town. I have four brothers all of whom live in my same town or close by. I'm the only sister and I'm oldest, but no one guesses that because I'm also the shortest. That makes me more like the "little sister". My brothers are all tall in stature and big hearted. I'm lucky to have the family I do. Bryce and I are probably the most alike. Growing up, I was closest to Bryce. I was happy that he was there so we could catch up.
Katelyn was happy to see Uncle Bryce, too. Crazy enough, she caught her second wind as soon as we walked in the door. She was full of energy and didn't want to sleep. When everyone went quickly to bed, she kept running out to the main living room where the big kids were bunked. I could hear her giggling with her big brother - she was pestering him to stay awake. Finally she settled down, but it wasn't until 2 am Vegas time.
Katelyn, me and the baby were all sharing a guest bedroom. It had always been "the Princess room" because Grandma had it decorated in white furniture with a big beautiful brass bed. My grandparents' house was one of my favorite places to be - I had many fun memories here in the summers growing up, playing in the pool with my brothers, and spending time with my grandma. She passed away almost 3 years prior. I missed her, and I still loved coming back to her house and all its loving memories of her. Grandpa was always glad to have us for a visit.
When I finally got Katelyn settled in bed with me, she wanted a story. Katelyn cuddled in close to me, with Dora and Boots in both arms, wrapped in her favorite princess blankie. I thought for a second and decided to tell her the story about when she was a baby, talking to angels right here in this very bed...
It was right after Grandma passed away. We were here for her funeral, but Katelyn wouldn't understand that so I told her that it was after Grandma died and we were here to visit Grandpa. She was only 4 months old at the time. Just a babe. She was sleeping here on the bed. I walked by the doorway to check on her and I could see she was awake and smiling, looking up towards the ceiling. I stopped to watch her because she was happy, and cooing, and kicking, and laughing. It was really a sight to see because no one else was there in the room with her, yet her focus was intent, directly above her. Scott walked by and stopped to watch her with me.
"It's like she's playing with someone," I said. Scott agreed.
Even my mom joined us quietly there in the doorway. We couldn't help but wonder if Grandma was here in spirit. Grandma never had the chance to meet Kate before she died. Maybe she was here to see my baby girl. I've often heard that babies are so pure, still fresh from heaven, and they can see angels. Watching her, we were convinced that she was having a visit with Grandma.
Now, as I told this story to Katelyn, her eyes got big in amazement. She gazed up at the ceiling and listened intently to my every word. She smiled when I told her how happy she was to see her Grandma as an angel. It seemed to warm her heart and fill her mind with happy thoughts to fall asleep by. I felt close to my Grandma as I told her how much she loved her. I also told her how Grandma and I had snuggled here when I was a little girl, just as she and I were doing now.
Kate was drifting off to sleep, but she touched my face, and told me she loved me. It was almost 3 am. and even though I was so tired, I focused on the beautiful moment right in front of me. I took it all in. How she warmed my heart. I was feeling extremely blessed that night as I fell asleep.
(to be continued...) see "The Best Day, The Worst Day"

Beautiful memory! Thanks for sharing this - I'm positive this is helping heal many hearts! Bryce
ReplyDelete