In the months leading up to Katelyn's passing, our family had never
been happier. Baby Kortney was born at the start of the summer; the kids
talked us into getting a swingset for the backyard, and Scott bought a boat for
us to play together and make memories all summer long. We love the photos we have of Katelyn on the
boat. No one was more excited to go boating than little Kate.
(She was her daddy's girl, that was for sure.)
That summer, there was no stopping her. Since the baby came, Kate thought she was one of the big kids - that meant she had to do everything
they were doing. It wore me out to help her keep up with them... I'd push her in the swing 'til she'd fly so high, watch out for her on the trampoline (and pray she wouldn't break her arm), keep a life vest
on her while on the boat and a helmet on her every time she rode the bike. I'd get her roller-skates on and off her feet as often as she needed (not to
mention knee pads and shoes when it mattered) and follow her around, keeping her
as safe as possible. As far as
preschoolers go, she was as active as they came! This little girl was
packing as much fun and life into every day she had. I felt like I was
continually on alert, never having any down time. She never quit, so neither could I.
When the kids went to school in the fall, it was no surprise that
Katelyn wanted to go too. She wanted it so badly that I decided to join some
friends and do a preschool. (It was called "The Marvy-Moms Preschool." I still chuckle at that.) Katelyn was thrilled. It didn't even phase
her that she was the youngest in the group. Maybe Katelyn wasn't as
ready to learn as the other girls, but she enjoyed the socializing, singing
songs, fingerpainting, story time, and playtime. I am thankful to those moms who were willing to let her join in, even though she was so little.
Preschool was Katelyn's favorite day of the week. I would drop her
off wearing a princess backpack that was just as big as she was. From the
back she looked like a human backpack with tennis shoes, bee-bopping to the
front door. When I returned to pick her up, I'd get an earful of all the
fun she had with her new friends and the teachers she loved.
When it was my turn to teach at our house Katelyn was so happy -
she'd say "Momma, you be the teacher, huh." I thought it was
funny that she would call me "mommy-teacher" in class.
We always had a good time, and after class she'd hug me and say, "You
good teacher mom!" It just doesn't get any more rewarding than that. I'm so glad I had that experience teaching "school" to my
own daughter and her neighborhood friends.
Katelyn was anxious for Halloween. She wanted to put the decorations up early
this year. I gave in and so we decked the house in witches and spooks on
September 22nd. It was unusual for me to get into a holiday that early.
But Katelyn was insistent and happy to help.
She loved the little witch that I bought (end of season sale) last
year. I got pictures of her holding "Miss Witch".
Katelyn had vampire teeth in her mouth, and smiling big she'd say,
"Oooo!!! So scarey!!" and "I so spooky!!"
She loved to spook me - and playing along I'd make a fuss, "Oh
Katelyn! You scare me!" We'd giggle and giggle. She was going
to be so much fun for the holidays. Halloween was a good one to start them all
off with.
Katelyn was also excited for her birthday that was coming up the
first week of October. She was turning 3
years old. She was already planning her
party. She wanted her cousins there and
she wanted a Dora the Explorer cake. We
were all looking forward to her turning three.
It was such a fun age, but we
couldn’t imagine her being any more fun than she already was. She was so full of wonder and she helped us appreciate the simple things in life that made us smile. Because of her, "I'd think to myself... What a wonderful world."
Those summer and fall months in 2009 were some of the best we'd ever
had. Scott and I felt like our little family was complete. We enjoyed every one of our kids, and we loved the dynamics that each of them brought to our family. We were feeling incredibly blessed. I wished I could bottle up every minute of
our summer and keep it just as it was -
forever.
It's funny how life can take you by surprise, and teach you never to take
things like moments and family for granted. (Actually, I take that back... It’s not.
It’s not funny at all.)
"Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it
becomes a memory."
- Dr. Seuss
- Dr. Seuss

No comments:
Post a Comment