Well, here it goes... I'm excited and nervous at the same time... and happy to start this new adventure called "Blogging."
It's been 5 years since we lost our little (almost-3 year old) Katelyn. Losing her has been our biggest heartache. Going through grief has been the hardest thing we've ever had to do as a family. Together we've shared many tears... but also along the way we've helped each other find our smiles again. I know for a fact that we'll never "get over it" (and no one should ever expect that) but I do think that our family is in a "good place" (finally).
My name is Jen. I am married to my husband Scott, and we have 5 terrific kids. Whenever someone asks about our family, we will always count our Kate. Even though she has passed away, she will always be a part of us. While some of them don't remember her, the kids all speak of her, pray for her and include her in their thoughts and everyday life. Kate is forever a part of our lives, our hearts and our family. She continues to be an influence for good. We feel her love every day. And every day she influences us to draw nearer to Heaven.
As a family, we've done some good healing in the past 5 years. We feel ready to share some of our grief-journey with others. By sharing, we wish to bring HOPE in healing to other broken hearted families. There was a time when we wondered if we would ever feel like smiling again. I am here to say, things do get better. The missing-her never goes away, but the ability to carry on gets easier.
This blogging is new for me. I didn't think I could ever pour out my heart and put it out there for the world to see. I am a very private person. But writing has always been good therapy for me... I have kept a personal journal, where I have written my deepest darkest sorrows, then tucked it away. I haven't looked at that journal for a really long time... I've been afraid it would be too painful (and truthfully, parts still are.) But recently, I have found the courage to read it, and see how far I've come (and we've come.) Now I am ready to share... the good things, bad things and "real" things... because I think other grieving families can relate to those real deep sorrows. I'm going to be honest, I'm not going to just sugar coat everything. I hope that being honest about our grief-journey will help others to see that what they are experiencing is normal and is all part of the healing process. In these blogs, I'll reflect back on old journal entries, and share some that I feel are appropriate. In doing so, I hope to connect and relate with others who are just starting their grief-journey.
I feel it's important for me to be sensitive. Some of the things I write may be hard to read. I don't want to talk in detail about events that may trigger painful memories for others. Also, I am going to be very careful NOT to share things that are too sacred, for there are some things that are meant to be kept just between my family and God.
Last but not least, I don't ever want to get too heavy. This blog is about how my family found our smiles; my purpose is to bring HOPE (not to tell a sad story.) I wish only to share uplifting, healing thoughts and counsel that helped me through my worst times. If you are experiencing loss of a loved one, I pray you can find hope in your healing as you read my blog and share in our family's journey. Thank you for joining me. Here it goes...

No comments:
Post a Comment