Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Choose HAPPY

In our home hangs a sign: "CHOOSE HAPPY" - Here's the story behind that motto...

Carson was lucky to be in Mrs. Fowlkes' 4th grade class that school year when our family lost Kate (Fall 2009). Mrs. Fowlkes herself had dealt with loss early in her life.  She had the understanding and empathy that Carson needed at school in those early days of his grief, and he loved her for her compassion and support. To this day she is a favorite of his.

Carson came to me one day after school and shared with me a quote his teacher read in a book they were reading as a class... an old Chinese Proverb that says
"You can't keep the sad birds from flying overhead, but you can keep them from nesting in your hair."

I asked him what he thought it meant, and he said,
"Well, we can't always keep bad things or sad things from happening, but when they do, we can try to be happy and not get stuck being sad."

Then he told me, "I miss Katelyn and it hurts that she's not here... but I don't want to be sad forever.  I think she wants us to be happy again."

I knew at that moment that he was right.  Its okay to allow ourselves time to grieve, but when its right it's also okay to let ourselves be happy again. While we'll always love and miss Kate, life is still good and there's so many reasons to be happy. My most important reasons are my 4 other wonderful children. They deserve to be raised in a happy home with a happy family.  Like Carson, I don't want to be stuck being sad and my family is my motivation to keep moving and live to be happy. And no doubt, seeing us happy makes Katelyn happy too, because she loves us so much.

Carson has a gift for finding the HAPPY in every situation (and also helping others to be happy) even in hard times.  It fills his bucket to make people smile. Also his own laughter is infectious. It seriously makes me feel good when I hear him laugh. He has a great sense of humor and he knows that Laughter is my best medicine so he's always refilling my prescription.


I love this son of mine for being who he is, for being sensitive and yet still funny & upbeat... and for helping us find our smiles - every day. He's a blessing. I’m so happy to have him as my son.


No comments:

Post a Comment