Tuesday, October 6, 2015

I Love Lucy (Katelyn's friend)

Back nine years ago, a dear friend of mine, Allie had her baby Lucy the very same day I had Katelyn.  In fact we were in the hospital together.  Lucy and Kate had a special little friendship from the start. Besides sharing the same birthday, they had lots in common.  Both were in Nursery class together (along with Lucy's grandma, who was their favorite  Nursery teacher) and both girls loved Tinkerbell. 

My friend Allie, Lucy and her Grandma were all broken hearted with us when Katelyn got her angel wings, just days before the girls turned 3 years old.  This sweet family has never forgotten Kate.  Every year, Lucy and her beautiful mama have done something special for me on the girls' birthday.  The first year they brought me this perfect Tinkerbell pumpkin, along with a sweet letter that told the story of how Lucy had been saying "I have a angel that's Katelyn." Allie had not talked much to her daughter about death and what it meant (afterall Lucy was only 3) but they were thinking about the girls' birthday, remembering Kate, and discussing how she was with Heavenly Father.  So when Lucy told Allie that Katelyn was her angel, it took Allie by surprise.  She didn't remember ever talking to Lucy about angels.  But Lucy seemed to understand that our angels look out for us and love us.  I was thankful Allie took the time to write this sweet experience down and shared it with me a year after Katelyn's death.  What a special gift this letter is.

I do believe that little children are more sensitive to spiritual things, so when Allie shared Lucy's story, it wasn't hard for me to believe.  I was very touched. For me it was both a confirmation and a comfort.  It was a sweet assurance for me that Katelyn is still close to those she loves.  Lucy is now nine years old. I watch her growing up and always she has a special place in my heart.  I have no doubt that Katelyn is her special angel.  

This little pumpkin is still one of our favorite Halloween decorations.  It is a sweet reminder that our Pinkerbell is our angel and she's always watching over us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment