Friday, April 7, 2017

A Sacred Resting Place

Today we went to the cemetery to do a little clean up for Katelyn's bench.  

I never imagined that a cemetery would be such a common place for my little family. For those who dont come here by necessity, it seems incomprehensible.  I used to be one of those.  I used to view the cemetery entirely different than I do now - now that we've laid to rest a little member of our family here. I regrettably admit that in my younger (more ignorant) days I used to see the cemetery as a place of  intrigue and mystery, perhaps even superstition. I remember as a teenager I used to make it a game, to walk through the cemetery at night with friends just for a good fright. Makes me sad now to think back at that.  I didn't realize how disrespectful I was being.  Not just to those mortal bodies resting here, but to their families to the brokenhearted, to the living who are separated by death from their loved ones.  

It is a shame that even one of our favorite holidays (and I love Halloween) unfortunately gets caught up in the commercialism of it all.  Reverence and respect for the Cemetery are lost in it's thrill for being "Creepy". 

Since I've lost Kate and had to lay her little body to rest here, I am uncomfortable with this depiction, and with anything that doesn't reflect the sacredness and reverence of this place.   To us, this is hallowed ground. A beautiful place.  A place of rest for our sweet girl.  But not just for us - this place represents so much.  Among so many things, these stones mark the place of a soldier's sacrifice, a final resting place for one who fought the good fight, a mother's heartbreak, a father's pride and joy, a brother's best bud, a sister's true confidante, a faithful friend, a loving sweetheart, a soul mate... A life cut short, or a life lived long - all of whom deserve our respect for enduring life's challenges and for trying to return home with honors.  Aren't we all the same? 

The interesting thing about these markers, they don't signify a person's color, or political status, education, or economic level. They don't tell whether this individual lived in a mansion on the hill, a palace, or in a cardboard box. 
The only thing these headstones depict is a name and a time - but in truth, they really represent a child of God.  Each is of great worth to Him, and each is a Prince or Princess.  By divine right - they are a son or daughter of a Heavenly King.  

It can be difficult at times to come here.  

But I'm thankful for a sweet husband who wants to care for the grounds here at Katelyn's Spot.  He's got a stronger heart than I at times.   I'm also thankful for the rest of my family who are sensitive and loving, and supportive. Springtime is a beautiful time here. It's easy to feel peace in this blessed place. I know we don't have to come here to feel close to Kate (because she's not really here, but is with us always) but its something we can do for her when we cleanup and beautify this sacred place of hers. Feeling loving rays of sunshine here today.



No comments:

Post a Comment